Music video

UPDATE | 65 arrested over women raped and robbed while filming music video in Krugersdorp

The police arrested 65 people.

  • Sixty-five suspects have been arrested following the rape of eight women who were also robbed along with others on the set of a music video in Krugersdorp.
  • Filming took place on Thursday at a mining dump in West Village, Krugersdorp.
  • Police spokesman Brigadier Brenda Muridili said the suspects were arrested for violating immigration law.

Sixty-five suspects have been arrested after eight women were raped and robbed, along with other members of the production crew, on the set of a music video, in Krugersdorp, a spokesman for the police, Brigadier Brenda Muridili.

Muridili added that the suspects were arrested for violating immigration law.

Two men were fatally shot after allegedly pointing guns at police while another was receiving treatment for gunshot wounds.

Two unlicensed firearms and explosives were recovered, along with items stolen from the victims.

Police are investigating 32 counts of rape and one of armed robbery.

UPDATE | ‘We are petrified,’ say residents of Krugersdorp village where 8 women were raped while filming music video

Earlier, Muridili said a production crew was shooting a music video in West Village on Thursday when the men attacked them. She added that they first raped eight women before stealing their property.

According to an internal police report seen by News24, the group were filming in an old, unused mine when a group of 10 suspects – who were wearing blankets, balaclavas and mining suits – approached them.

READ | Game warden Anton Mzimba had received death threats before his murder

They fired shots in the air, searched the crew and ordered them to lie down before pointing out the other suspects who raped the women, who were all models, in nearby bushes.

According to the report, the men then robbed everyone on set of their clothes, cellphones, rings, passports, watches, purses, cash, cameras and other valuables.

Police Minister Bheki Cele earlier announced that three men had been arrested, while police searched the area for the other suspects.

The area where the incident occurred is known to be frequented by illegal miners.

Earlier, President Cyril Ramaphosa had referenced the incident during his speech at the ANC policy conference.

“This morning we have just learned of the horrific incident where a number of women in our country have been abused.

“We have ordered the Minister of Police and Law Enforcement to take this step immediately to ensure that the perpetrators of this crime are apprehended and dealt with. Comrade Bheki Cele has already been there and we are following this horrific incident,” he said.